Saturday, August 27, 2011

Fly fishing's a hoot!

About 20 years ago I bought John a fly rod. He made the mistake of teaching me how to use it and after that, who ever got up first, got the fly rod, so when my birthday came around, we made a trip up to Park Falls and he got me my own pack rod and reel. We enjoyed fly fishing in Northern Wisconsin waters all that summer; at the end of it, I was just fitting into my waders at 7 months pregnant. Then we sold the little house on the lake, and my fly rod and waders got put away.

Through all the years and moves and clean outs, I kept them safe and with me, and even with the big clean out when we moved into our little 22' RV I found a spot for them under the bench. Now, I've rediscovered what I fell in love with all those years ago!

Lake Taneycomo is a constant 52 degrees F, and the Table Rock Lake dam controls the flow through the "lake". Here at the Lakeside RV campground we are 8 miles below the dam, and we fish off the dock with spinning rods and little jars of round colored bait balls, but up at the dam, only fly fishing is allowed. The Hatchery waters spill out into the river - "lake" just a little ways below the 800' high dam. This is where the fly fishing begins. Even in insolated wader boots I can feel the icy waters, and I have to be careful not to stay in there too long, or I get chilled to the bone! It's incredible wading in though. Soon the trout are swimming around me and their colors and gentle grace enchant my senses. I never understood the sense of catch and release until now. Fish were always something you caught and had for dinner. Even in my scuba diving days, although I watched them some, I was more interested in finding little treasures which had been dropped from above than in watching the fish, but something happened my first day out here fly fishing. It is very special to experience the grace and beauty of these creatures in their own habitat, and having one on the end of the line is a joy. Son't rush to bring them in - cherish the experience of having them on the end of the line, of them running and jumping out to the water, of them swimming back and forth before you, and of  finally bringing them up to you and without taking them out of the water, be able to use the forcepts to grab the hook and with a little twist  to unhook them as gently as possible and watch them gently swim away. The first time I experienced it, it was one of those aha moments that leaves you breathless, and it's so good for the heart. It just fills you up!

This is a picture of my @21" female rainbow trout from Thursday mornings outtings - she was fat and sleek and oh so beautiful. You can see the joy on my face even with those ugly big sunglasses and Australian hat on. The colors on her side almost match with my coral colored blouse! Of course, all of this would be easier to see if John's finger were transparent, in all six pictures! :) ah well, it's the experience that counts. I also found that it's not the # of fish you catch - those bragging rites are false. It's  the experience while you are doing it that really matters. I didn't need to catch more than one on Thursday. That one made my whole day, and the memories still fill me with wonder and joy.
John is also loving the fly fishing. We had his chest waders along too. They were brand new and only worn once or maybe twice and then also in storage like mine. Unfortunately, it took 3 people to get them off of him the first 2 times out here- should have gotten the boot size a little bigger, so off we went to Bass Pro Shop in Springfield. WOW what a store! The catalog shop is right next door, and all the returns go out on the floor there, so we were able to find him a really nice pair of breathable soft bottom waders at 1/2 off regular price, then we went next door to the main store and found him a pair of nice water shoes, so now he's all comfy cozy and "easily changable" and also having the time of his life. I love to see him smile and laugh!

I was so lucky. My first time fishing (I sat in a chair and watched the first 2 days we were there until I decided it would be much more fun to be fishing) an old timer by the name of Duffy took me under his wing and rigged me up Branson Style with the right flies and set up, and showed me how to roll my line. Then he brought me up to the white water area where the water is rolling out of the hatchery and I caught my first 3 fish. The first was a 24+" sucker! Keep the tip up! Then 2 really nice trout. The 2nd day out, I caught my first trout downstream, and then 2 from the white water area. Then  Thursday past I got the one above. She was a beauty.
The joy of fly fishing isn't only in the catching of the trout.  It's the whole experience. The surroundings, the sounds, the smells, the feel of the air the sun and the water... they are all lovely. Just downstream from where we usually go, there is a downed tree, and as I watched, there were at least 25 turkey vultures relaxing in the sun there. Across the river the great blue herons waded in the shallow waters looking for lunch. The swallows were swooping 25' in the air catching bugs, a dragonfly lands on my wrist or my rod and inspects my intentions and Thursday I saw about 5 goldfinch swooping, playing and singing as they crossed the river. Occasionally I see suckers swimming along, and crows cawing and either sitting on a log or flying above the trees are not uncommon. The Sycamore Trees roots are lovely, and the views are so relaxing.


The next time we go, I'm bringing along my guitar and staff paper, then we I get too cold in the water, I can get the rivers melody written down for others to enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment