Saturday, December 10, 2011

I can't believe we've been here 10 days! Sometimes I have to pinch myself to be sure this is real! The weather is cool, but the area is so beautiful, and the birds! There were so few birds in Missouri, but here, it's a never ending variety. I'm sad this morning as I heard all the gun shots and imagined all those little ducks being killed for a little bit of meat. Deer season - you get one deer and it feeds you for a very long time, but duck season. I'm sorry I just can't see it.  Get a camera guys. If you need the adrenelin rush of killing something, go "kill" some of those flying disks .

Yesterday we saw Ibis, at least we think they were Ibis,yellow beak instead of the customary red, but every other part of the bird looked like Ibis, and so many ducks, so many varieties, and Roseate Spoonbills, Great egrets, Great Blue Herons, Skimmers, Oyster catchers, greater and lesser sandpipers, Common Snipe, lots of Rock Doves, and that owl - I'd sure like to see him, but we hear him every morning. We also had 5 deer in the campground yesterday morning, and I saw a small sting ray while out fishing on the pier.

The fishing was terrible yesterday. Terese caught a few, but all small, and mostly bait stealers. The shore line is littered with hundreds of dead or dying jellyfish - I think a result of the Red Tide. Night before, John caught our first keeper. a 15" Speckled Sea Trout. I got a 14.5" and a 13" but they have to be 15" to keep them. It was delicious!

We're keeping very busy with the campground, and I'm feeling very guilty this morning - I forgot a planned activity last night, and since I'm the activity director....... I have apologies to make. However, dinner with friends at China-A was DELICIOUS - that is no excuse though!

No comments:

Post a Comment